Forget Task Manager
And welcome Process Explorer !
Process Explorer from SysInternals.com displays detailed information about all the processes running on your machine. Including:
- A human readable description (i.e. "SoftModem Messaging Applet" instead of "AGRSMMSG.exe" - still don't know exactly what it does, but have more of an idea now)
- Displays dependancies (i.e. what system dlls are required for that process)
- Displays all threads for a process
- Ability to drill down and view the stack for an individual thread (!)
- Associated registry entries
- Files a process is using (hopefully this'll help with that "Cannot delete this file, it is in use by another process" error that seems to always force me into shutting everything down)
- And more....
Craig's right, it does rock :-)